Beautiful Basil: Delicious and Nutritious!
Dr. Axe and his writers do such a great job on educating us to the power in foods. You might enjoy reading his whole article:
12 Benefits of Basil + Recipe Ideas
Here’s a quick rundown on ten amazing facts for this powerful herb!
1. It contains disease fighting antioxidants!
2. It acts as an inti-inflammatory!
3. It fights cancer!
4. It protects us against harmful bacterial growth!
5. It contains antimicrobial properties that fight virus and infection!
6. It fights depression and stimulatest the hormones that help us to be happy and energetic!
7. It promotes cardiovascular health!
8. It supports liver function and helps to detoxify the body!
9. It helps alkalize the body and improve digestion!
10. It helps protect us from diabetes!
So with all that good stuff … here’s our recipe!
We ate this one night as a main dish, and then the next as a pasta salad with some drained mandarin oranges, extra balsamic vinegar for a dressing … and more chopped basil! It would have been good with peapods too. Truly scrumptious.
What made it really extra special was this delicious seasoning from our tea-lovin’ friend Meridene in St. George, Utah. You can buy “Everything but the Bagel” Sesame Seasoning at Whole Foods or on Amazon
Amazing Asian Noodles With Vegetables
1 pound whole wheat spaghetti or other pasta, cooked
1/4 cup vegetable broth (I just use the little cubes and water)
1 onion sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 large carrot, cut into thin strips
1/2 c up chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce (ligth or sodium free)
1/4 cup almond milk
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbsp. Sucanat or your favorite sweetener
3 green onions sliced with a couple inches of the greens
1/4 cup crushed peanuts
Sea salt (Or “Everything But The Bagel” Seasoning) to taste.
1) Cook the pasta and set aside.
2) In a large skillet, add 1/4 cup vegetable broth, onions, peppers, broccoli and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables are slightly cooked. (You can also use a steamer for this step!)
3) Stir in pasta, basil and seasame seeds. Set aside.
4) In a small saucepan, add peanut butter, soy sauce, vineagr, ginger, garlic, almond milk and Sucanat. Cook over medium heat until mixture is smooth. Pour over noodles
5) Garnish with green onions and peanuts. Season with the “Everything But The Bagel” seasoning (or sea salt.)
6) If desired, add any kind of lentil or beans for protein.
If I was serving this as a party dish, I’d provide some options with bowls of cooked white beans and another with chopped chicken or fish for my non-vegetarian friends.
Anyway, there you have it. DELI CIOUS! Have a wonderful week!